Call us at
MNCCC is open and accepting new clients. We are still seeing clients in-office; however in light of the COVID-19 situation we also offer online video/tele-therapy sessions. We have a HIPAA compliant tele-therapy platform in place and have been offering online therapy as part of our regular practice for over a year. We will help guide you through the process and assist you in getting set up for online sessions.
To register online click the button below; or contact our office for registration assistance.
Londonderry Office Park
5780 Lincoln Drive #250
Edina, MN 55436
7835 Main Street N. #220
Maple Grove, MN 55369
MN Counseling and Couples Center offers HIPAA compliant, remote based therapy, that is conducted via a secure internet connection. Online therapy, also known as “virtual therapy or “tele-therapy is therapy that is provided via a secure, end-to-end video streaming “virtual office” that you can access via your computer, or other electronic device, such as a mobile phone.
Online therapy provides flexibility and convenience to clients in receive counseling services with a licensed therapist. Online therapy may be beneficial for clients who have:
• Difficulty scheduling around work or family obligations
• Small children or other child-care issues
• Transportation or accessibility barriers
• Limited access to specialized counseling services
• Other barriers where attending an in-office appointment is difficult
• Medical concerns or other medical issues preventing travel or in office visits
• Simply a preference for receiving therapy in the convenience and privacy of one’s own personal environment
How Do I Pay for Online Therapy?
Online therapy is available for those clients who are paying privately or using their health savings/benefits plan to cover the cost of therapy. Payment will be taken prior to your session. Online therapy is also covered by insurance plans. We will conduct a verification of insurance benefits prior to your session. Similar to in-office sessions, you will be responsible for any co-payments or deductible payments, at the time of service. If you have any questions about insurance coverage for online therapy, please contact your insurance provider’s customer service.
How Does Online Therapy Work?
Online therapy works very similar to traditional in-office therapy. The initial sessions include assessing/understanding your concerns and setting goals for therapy. If you are using health insurance we will conduct a Diagnostic Assessment, to assess your diagnosis and assure that online therapy will be an appropriate means of service. The obvious difference with online therapy is you will not be in the office with your therapist. Therefore you are responsible for managing the space you are in while attending your virtual office counseling appointment. Shutting doors, turning off phones, and not allowing onlookers is strongly recommended. Virtual counseling sessions are for you only, and managing privacy on your end of the online connection is your responsibility.
Limitations to Online Counseling:
All therapists at MNCCC are trained to screen for disorders that may not be appropriate for this format. Your therapist reserves the right to terminate online therapy service if a clinical judgment is made that online therapy is not the most effective format for receiving therapy. In these situations, in-office therapy will be offered, or a referral to another agency may be made.
Additionally, the therapists an MNCCC are licensed to conduct therapy in Minnesota, and are not certified for out-of-state practice of licensed services. Therefore, online counseling may not be used for a client whose residence is outside of Minnesota.
How do I get started with Online Therapy?
Prior to the initial session, all intake forms including an Informed Consent and Agreement For Therapy form will be reviewed and signed, to be sure you are thoroughly informed of the nature of virtual therapy including; requirements, risks, benefits, limitations and confidentiality.
When you call MNCCC to schedule your appointment, simply let us know you would like to schedule an online therapy appointment versus an in-office session.
Joining the on-line video sessions:
1. The first is via your personal computer. When you schedule an online therapy appointment, you will be sent an e-mail that will contain a join link, plus a 4-digit room PIN that you will use to login from your computer. Each online therapy session used from your PC will have it’s own unique PIN. You may have to go into settings to enable the camera and microphone features.
2. Secondly you can use our client portal. To access the client portal you will be sent a client PIN and a link to log into the client portal. Your client PIN does not change- it is the one you use to access the portal. You can use the client portal to view your scheduled sessions, schedule future ongoing sessions, pay your bill and more. Once you are in the portal, find your appointment and press the video icon to access the online session. Again, you may have to go into settings to enable the camera and microphone features.
2. Thirdly, you can use your mobile device by downloading a free app from the App Store or Android Market called “MyTherapist” (all one word). Log into the app using you client PIN, (which is the same one you use for the client portal). Once you accept the online appointment, click on the video icon to access the online session. You may also have to enable the microphone.
Please contact our office at 763-400-7475 x1 and we will gladly assist you in getting all set up for your online therapy appointment.